Sunday, January 30, 2005

my tongue is on fire

Okay, so I've been eating like a super-star...No, not purging; I've been doing an excellent job of eating the way I want to eat...low cal, high fiber, as high as protein as a non meat & dairy girl can possibly eat (sans the protein powder that tastes like Evil himself)...but, today I found myself in search of some answers...While watching a cheesy old Jennifer Anniston movie, it occurred to me that I would give at least one of my pinky toes simply in exchange for a small serving of salt and vinegar chips...Now, I've been having minimal to no cheats on average. I thought to myself, "Self, should we get ourselves some salt and vinegar chips?" I held back. Finally, after wanting my beloved S&V chips for like a half an hour, I remembered what I've read several times, which is something like this: "Don't ignore your cravings...If you want chocolate, then have a little piece...Otherwise, when you try to fill up on celery and apples and non-fat bran muffins to satisfy your craving, you will probably still then break down and have the chocolate. Better to just have the chocolate in the first place." So, I thought I'd just have a few salt and vinegar chips...and, my dumb ass ate 3/4 of the entire bag!! I wonder what the experiences with others are on this whole "give in just a little" theory...

Further, those of you who have ever eaten 75 percent of a bag of salt and vinegar chips in one setting are aware of the certain impending side effects of tongue swelling, tongue pain, and a slight speech impediment for at least 24 hours.<

a href="http://www.aseriesofawkwardmoments.blogspot.com/">A Series of Awkward Moments

2 comments:

  1. Throw it away?! Throw it away?! Chris is clearly a blasphemer. Salt and vinegar chips, you see, are an historical type of chip, harkening back to the early New Englanders, and possibly Fair Britannia herself, and therefore, when consumed, impart to the consumer a dose of nostalgic reverence for the forefathers, rather than calories. Salt and vinegar chips are enlightening, rather than fattening.

    It's a fact, I swear. The same rule applies to salt-water taffy, coney island chili dogs, boston baked beans and scotch eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if by 'give in a little' you mean 'eat the whole thing plus some more stuff,' than I am the most restrained person you've ever met.

    Yeah, I really suck at the whole not-indulging-myself phenomenon. In fact, I usually overdo it (but only with sweets, of course) and then complain about the fact that I always get stomachaches.

    But I've found that if I have a craving for something, it's essential to buy that product in the exact size of what I'm willing to eat. If I buy the big bag, I'll eat the whole thing. If I buy the little bag, I'll eat the whole thing. But it's much better to eat the whole little bag, obviously.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete