Saturday, January 24, 2009

The one in which she ponders sacrilege.

miniature sun-room + Riley's hideout      

our 'vintage'  O'Keefe + Merrit stove  

house + side yard  

living room before we lived here* + my design delimma

The fireplace is huge.  No, huge.  I love it.  I hate, hate, hate the brass.  I also don't like that it has red brick on the bottom + white brick on the top.  Last, it has been stained messily.  So far, my research + time/money availabilities tell me that the best course of action is to paint the whole thing white for now.  And, I've got a cream for the walls.  Inspiration found here.  Thank-you, thisyounghouse.com!  Apparently, I can paint that brass door thingy?

So? Best case scenario?  Or, sacrilege?

*This photo is from when we looked at the place, 
so that's not our stuff. We would have liked 
to have that chair in the corner, though.  

5 comments:

  1. Holy. That "house + side yard" picture...swoon! Paint it. You may even want to paint it black...it sounds kind of harsh, but it will just "go away" when it's painted black. You can also tile over the brick areas, but get specific advice before diving in. How cute would it be with talaveras or some other painted or molded tiles? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia-

    First of all...Mia!!!!!!!!!!

    You are the second person to say to paint it black. I'm going to go google image that.

    side yard: Thanks! It is a pretty little view! But also, you know how pictures make things look bigger than they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was watching Carter on HGTV this morning, and they painted a brass fireplace screen black. First, they got spray metal primer, and then they used metal paint to paint it black. It looked great once they were done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love This Young House... I'll put in a vote for painting it white. We paint everything white... furniture... fireplaces, we're even about to paint our kitchen floor white. It kind of makes everything work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw yet another show today where they "fixed" the fireplace by framing it out with sheetrock, and then I had an amazing idea. There is this place off 35 that sells salvaged things from houses being torn down. They had some lovely mantles when Drew and I went to check it out, but at the time, we didn't need a mantle.
    Here is the website: http://www.dhwsalvage.com/index.htm
    I "know" the owners of this place through friends, and it is a really neat place to go check out!

    ReplyDelete