Wednesday, January 21, 2009

bog of eternal stench + b's dimples

(B + dimple + The question was: Is your wife the #1 or #2 most beautiful and intelligent human you have ever met or laid eyes on?  Either that or "in a minute." )

On the best sleep ever & the philosophy of dogs: I slept fabulously warm and peaceful last night.  Moses very much wanted to stay up to watch the Inaugural balls on cnn.com, so I let him sleep with us; usually, he's kenneled at night, as he's not to be trusted.  All of our animals slept with us last night.  It is was very warm. 

Moses has somehow beat Preston in cuddly-naturedness; however, Preston remains my favorite to sit with, to sleep by as far as the animals go.  He feels more like a friend.  

Is there something different about large dogs?  We love all of our pets very much, but to us, Preston seems like a person.  The little dogs seem like wonderful little dogs.  In spite of this difference in "humanness," or maybe because of it, I have to say that the little dogs do seem much more 'present."  Especially Sam.  Sam is always in the moment.   This is not so with Preston, in whose face I swear I can see worry, eager anticipation, and cognition.  Sometimes premeditation.  Read: When they leave, I will turn over the trash can. But not until they leave.

Intriguing + even paradoxical how that added sense of humanity seems to steal from presence; or is it that at higher levels of consciousness, we must choose our presence?  Does the element of conscious choice make it better, deeper, richer? 

On the horrific aromas of youknowwhat: Speaking of deeper: The down side of his cuddly nature is that Moses frequently smells like ####.  We've been wondering, what would make something so small evoke such horrific aromas out of both ends? 

Intrigued, B went all Inspector Gadget & began scoping out his backyard manners.  And before I tell you this, just don't judge me.  I mean, we've been busy.  We have a ton of er, leaves that we have never ever raked, piling (exponentially) against the back fence.  

Leaf pile?  Turns out, not just leaves.   To Moses, a gold mine.  If gold is ####.*  

Oh. My. God.

On the splendor of morning & the travails of a failed perfectionist:   On a brighter note, I'm writing this in the morning which means I'm in good spirits.  Morning is a wonderful time of day for me; it is when I feel most peaceful and centered.  I'm hoping to get back to waking up (and getting up) at 4:30 so that I can have as much morning as possible before I'm off to the light of day.

Today, I actually rolled out of bed at 5-ish, slightly lethargic from staying up to watch Inaugural stuff.  (Fighting urge to go to DC + hand out Red Bulls to the Obamas.)  

As usual, B and I did a little meditating and reading.  We read a passage from Eckhart Tolle about ego.  This was good for me, because my attitude about work has been rather anxious.  I don't believe it has anything to do with my work as much as me being VERY unbalanced toward work.  I've been trying to balance, and in many important ways I have. It can be extremely difficult for me to keep work in perspective; it is my Achille's heel, partly because of the love of what I do making it so easy for what I do to become ALL I do or think about.

When it comes to flow-inducing states such as this (work, school), my perfectionist side kicks into full, all-or-nothing gear.  It is difficult for me to say, "It's fine like this."  And then leave it.  Leave it.  Step away.  Do something else.  Live your life.  I find this counter-intuitive to the degree that when I'm working on it, I tend to have escape fantasies of being a stay at home dog-mom.  They tell me this isn't  a real job.  

*Flash-back to very unfortunate face lick.

5 comments:

  1. Haha! This really made me laugh! Our new kitty really smells horrible too, and I don't know why. There is no poo for her to roll around in. The other day, she climbed up Drew and made him bleed and then proceeded to break my favorite lamp. But that night, she was very sorry and very cuddly, so, all was forgiven but not forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dying laughing about Moses! We have a puppy, Izzy, who often has the #### breath too. I don't know if you've noticed, but our neighborhood streets are covered in cat ####. Walking Izzy is like having a pig digging for truffles on the end of the leash! Ick. But I let her kiss me anyway. A mother's love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you mean about Preston and the peopleness of big dogs. We had a wonderful small (not tiny) dog for many years that we loved. She died of old age, and after a number of years we were adopted by a big stray dog/puppy (we live in a rural area where people often dump dogs). Rosie is 3 times as big as Missy was (and weighs 4 times as much), and just seems so much human!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the previously mentioned list of broken stuff, please add the following from the last 2 days:
    My favorite cake pan that has a closeable lid, as well as my favorite glass.

    Why do we love these beasts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcie-
    Yes, our animals are always breaking our (my) favorite things. Bruce is the one that they end up injuring. I would say just be glad you don't have an unruly labrador tail flinging everything off of everything every time he gets excited!!

    Eva-
    Baaaa haaa haaa! Snorting my coffee over Izzy's 'truffle' search.

    Sue-
    That's interesting you say that, because Preston is a rescue, too. I wonder if sometimes it is the dogs that have been abandoned that have this added humanness/sensitivity. At any rate, glad there are people like you that take in dogs like Rosey! :)

    ReplyDelete