Monday, December 22, 2008

birding: don't hate the playa, hate the game.


Fo shizzle, yo. I've been b to the irding.

There is so a great blue heron in my back yard right now. It's huge! It's sitting on top of this dam that goes across the creek, just looking for dinner. And I still can't find my camera. I did log it in my bird book! Said bird book has 43" written beside the name great blue heron. I think this means wing span. Holy heck!

I see why old people like doing this! Give me some plaid polyester, a bird book and I'm good to go. My husband thinks he'll make a great old person; he wants to wear questionable hats and spend all morning drinking McDonald's coffee with his old man buddies. I think I might be even better! I want to be that lady who sits at rabble rousing political meetings knitting tea pot cozies (I actually do know this woman and do actually want to be her.). Then, I'll go home and "look at my birds."

This reminds me that I really want to check out the new Dallas Audobon center and also what is apparently the "largest urban hardwood forest in the country." I'm not clear on whether that's two different places or one giant nature extravaganza. Maybe if I write that down right here, I will see it and actually remember to go!

2 comments:

  1. haha! My husband and I talk about how we'll be when we're old, and it entails lots of sitting around on our front porch, smoking illegal substances, rocking in rocking chairs with blue hair, and heckling passersby. I could also totally get into birding too, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Audubon center is pretty neat. Drew and I went on opening day, and he has been back for a science function. Definitely worth going, nice trails, and a really cool building.

    ReplyDelete