Monday, November 29, 2004

Gratitude

A Series of Awkward Moments

Well, to counter my pre-menstrual pity party, I have decided to make a short of list of some of the things I'm grateful for (This always makes me feel better):

-My opportunity for an education
-My cozy apartment
-The fact that my fiance lives in it
-And makes me breakfast most mornings
-Holiday flavored coffee
-Christmas in general
-I feel thankful that I was raised without a lot of things that others had-I never thought I would say it, but it is so VERY true.
-I should add that my fiance just surprised me with a Bailey's and coffee; I'm definitely thankful for that.
-And the coffee is served in a hand-made mug that he surprised me with a couple of months ago...I'm thankful for my mug.
-It snowed today, just enough to cover the ground and all the trees...it's so pretty.
-I taught two lessons today (kindergarten and third), and they went really well.
-My friends
-My health
-My family...It sounds so cliche to say "friends, family, health," but when you are writing them down, you just think of all of these specific people who just really add a lot to life.
-I FINALLY got a lot of my wedding planned this weekend.
-Kids
-Big Brothers, Big Sisters
-The mayor's day parade is today, and I'm going to watch my little seventh grade friend walk in it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey woman! I've been missing you, just sort out of the loop with the long weekend, etc. But, I've been reading! Okay, first things: awesome that you're getting your ESL certification! Here in California, it's mandatory - built into the programs, really, for the last 8 or 9 years. In my class, for example, I have 13 of 20 children designated as ESL. That's the lowest ratio I've EVER had, too! Mostly Spanish (thank all gods, because I can at least talk to their parents and use Spanish to clarify/explain a lesson!) but also Hindi, Vietnamese, Tagalog, and Tongan. At our school, we also have Russian speakers, Farsi speakers, Punjabi speakers, Chinese speakers, etc. It's a really diverse place. I guess I never thought of the mid west as similar. I think it's fantastic that you're taking this on, especially as a Special Ed. major - so often a linguistic issue is misdiagnosed as a learning disability! You'll make an excellent advocate.

    Also, you're killing me! If you had any idea how HARD I had to fight to get to 160 pounds. Sigh. Okay, not to AT ALL diminish your struggles, because I swear, I've had 100 pounds to lose, and I've had 15 pounds to lose and sucks = sucks, no matter which end of that spectrum you're on. HOWEVER, I just have to say, be gentle with yourself! Your numbers look very decent, intake wise. Tightening up on them (shave 200 or so each day?) would be more than enough for you to see real results, in a very short time. Also, and I know how much you've been challenged by this lately, so I hate to even mention it because I know - you know! - a little exercise goes a long way. I swear, it seems like even though I'm within 5 pounds of where I was a year ago, it just *feels* different because I have more strength (read: muscles!) and stamina (read: I can run a lot further - and faster!) and sincerely, that's changed me so much more than the actual number on the scale.

    Hang in there! You're really just feeling around a few different things right now. I was just telling Marla, it's like being one of those plate spinners in China, where you finally get a few plates up in the air and spinning, and then you have to start adding more elements, and it's hard to keep them ALL going at the same time. Right now, you've got a bunch of them spinning, but what you'll probably find is that in the beginning, you don't need EVERY element in place to see results. When you go from "no program", *any* change is a jolt to the system. EITHER exercise OR reducing calories OR increasing water to god-awful amounts will make a difference. My suggestion? Start spinning ONE plate. (Pick one area to make a small change) and *then* add other plates ONLY when the one you're working with stops giving you results.

    Just my (very unsolicited) two cents! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving - and I love your grateful list! It makes me feel better too :)
    xoxo
    Mia

    ReplyDelete